Sunday, December 04, 2005

Sublime Space Pictures

Please visit this collection of beautiful space pictures taken with the Hubble Space Telescope.

We are so little and yet so much.

Each of us is among the 6 billions on Earth, a small planet in a small solar system.

Our sun is just one among 100,000,000,000 stars in our Milky Way galaxy.

Our galaxy is just one among 100,000,000,000 galaxies in the known universe.

There might be so many universes besides our own, but we don't know for sure.

Our life span of 100 years is nothing compare to our sun's age of 5,000,000,000 years. (Stars last from a few ten millions to a few ten billions of years.)

Our whole life is just a flicker of candle light in the thunderstorm of time.

Yet, we have thoughts, morals, creativity, compassion, and love for other human beings.

I don't think all those stars out there can feel love.

(Anyway, what do I know? Maybe ants feel love too, though I doubt it since they have only 100,000 brain cells. By the way, we have about 100,000,000,000 neurons in our head.)

Looking at all those space pictures somehow soothed my soul very pleasantly.

I think the word "sublime" approximates my feeling pretty accurately.

I hope they do the same for you.

No comments: