Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Moses Has Left The Building


I only knew Charlton Heston as Moses, Ben-Hur, El Cid, the guy who found Soylent Green's secret, and the guy who fought the apes in the original Planet of the Apes, and I knew he was the president of the NRA for a few years, but I never knew about his political activities.

Although I disagree with many of his positions (like campaigning for G. W. Bush), I think this speech is pretty cool. An excerpt:

You simply disobey. Peaceably, yes. Respectfully, of course. Nonviolently, absolutely. But when told how to think or what to say or how to behave, we don't. We disobey the social protocol that stifles and stigmatizes personal freedom.

I learned the awesome power of disobedience from Dr. King who learned it from Gandhi, and Thoreau, and Jesus, and every other great man who led those in the right against those with the might.

Charlton Heston died on April 5, 2008.

No comments: