Monday, October 17, 2005

A Book I Wish I Had Read As A Physics Undergrad

I have just read about 15% of the total pages of "The Road To Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe" in details while skimming the rest, and already I am very excited by the great overview/summary/speculation of what we know/think about our universe that Sir Roger Penrose provided in this remarkable book.

In this 1,136-page book, Sir Penrose tries to communicate most of the essential mathematics and physics to understand the law of the universe. My excitement about this book is comparable to the excitement I felt two decades ago when I found the "Feynman Lectures On Physics" and decided to get some physics training.

Students in math and physics should find this book extremely interesting.

More detailed reviews of the book can be found here and here.

Also, an amusing story about Sir Penrose and Kimberly-Clark toilet paper.

No comments: