Monday, April 09, 2007

Microsoft Is Dead, Or Not

Paul Graham* said, "Microsoft Is Dead."
Don Dodge said, "No, Microsoft is not dead."
Paul Graham replied, "Microsoft is dead, metaphorically."


Well, I suppose the "Microsof Is Dead" argument might be simpler to understand if we say that Microsoft is not likely to be relevant to the future innovation related to computing and the Web, but that would not be a good headline for an article, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, Don Dodge said that Microsoft is very strong financially and is in many emerging markets. He is incidentally the Director of Business Development for Microsoft's Emerging Business Team, so if he agrees with Paul Graham, Microsoft would definitely be dead.

As for me, my judgement is clouded by my anger at how mediocre Windows Vista is. My (over)reaction would be Microsoft is no longer relevant to the innovation, and thus I tend to agree with Paul Graham's claim.

I'm also known for being often wrong but never in doubt.

--- - ---- - ----- ---------
*Paul Graham is responsible for, among other things, raising awareness of applying Bayesian inference to the problem of email spam in his "A Plan for Spam" essay.

No comments: